Find out more...
About Hostelling Scotland
More than just a bed for the night!
Hostelling Scotland is a not-for-profit charity with over 60 youth and affiliate hostels. Since 1931, we have welcomed visitors from all over the world, providing affordable, welcoming accommodation in some of the best locations across Scotland. We pride ourselves on exceptional service, offering expert local knowledge and a warm welcome to all those with an adventurous spirit and who wish to experience the real Scotland.
As a non-profit charity with people and communities at our heart, our charitable youth programmes give young people and families, who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity, the chance to experience Scotland and develop their skills for life, learning and work.
We couldn’t do this without your help and we thank you for your kind and continued support.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Inspire all, especially young people to experience Scotland through the provision of great value and welcoming hostelling accommodation.
Staying true to our values, we offer the best hostelling experience throughout Scotland for everyone.
- We promote our charitable objectives by being open to all.
- We work together with pride and integrity to get things done.
- We are committed to operating in an environmentally sustainable way.
- We actively promote and take equality, diversity and inclusion into account in everything that we do.
- We pledge to give back and provide young people and families, who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity, the chance to experience Scotland and develop their skills for life, learning and work.
- We empower our teams by providing a fair work environment with meaningful opportunities for advancement.
- We work proactively in partnership with local communities, authorities and agencies.
Our Customer Promise
Our customer promise "puts people at the heart of Hostelling Scotland" and outlines the services and standards we strive to provide for all of our guests.
- Provide you with a warm welcome and at all times deliver a high standard of customer engagement
- Provide you with a unique experience through our locations, facilities, services and knowledge
- Provide you with clean, comfortable and secure youth hostels at all times
- Go the extra mile and be positive in all of our interactions with you
- Listen to your comments and use your feedback to improve
- Operate ethically as well as in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly manner
- Be respectful and sensitive to meet the needs of all of our customers
If you are not completely happy, please let us know before you leave so that we can put it right.
Our Cleanliness Commitment:
We are committed to delivering the highest levels of cleanliness for all our guests and will always promise a clean and safe hostel
- We always use commercial grade cleaning products including bactericidal cleaner EN1276, effective in killing bacteria.
- Our Team Members are trained on the effective use of chemicals.
- Our enhanced cleaning protocols focus on heavy use touch points.
- Our bedding and towels are always washed at 60 degrees.
- We encourage contactless payment and interactions at all times
Hand sanitiser is available in all our hostels and we promote good
hand hygiene throughout our hostels.
- We always ask our guests to consider the experience of others. Cleaning up after
use our kitchens and public spaces is actively encouraged.
If this isn’t what you find when you check-in, please make the team aware and we promise to make it right!
Acting today for a better tomorrow!
Operating locally but thinking globally!
Sustainability by definition never ends, so we will continue to work to reduce our impact on the environment, engaging with local communities and guests to promote sustainable practices. Click here to see some of our recent initiatives.
There are some quick and easy ways that our guests make a difference and help us realise our ambition - read our Responsible Visitor Charter to find out more.
Trustees and Directors
Our Board of Trustees and Directors are elected by Hostelling Scotland members or co-opted by the Board. The Board of Trustees and Directors is responsible for governance, rather than management of Hostelling Scotland. Governance focuses on the wider issues of the organisation, its vision, strategic direction, financial and resource sustainability to achieve its charitable objectives, and monitoring the progress of the implementation. The day to day conduct of the strategic and operational executive management is delegated by the Board, to the Chief Executive, and the Senior Management Team.
The Board of Trustees and Directors elections are conducted annually prior to the Annual General meeting and published through all Hostelling Scotland communication channels. Biographies and ballot forms for those nominated for Board election can be downloaded or sought from Head Office.
Those interested in giving their time, skills and experience to take Hostelling Scotland forward through the 21st century are encouraged to get in touch with the Company Secretary for further information and an informal discussion on the commitment involved in being a Trustee and Director of Hostelling Scotland.
Our Current Board of Trustees and Directors
|Sophie Bell||Vice Chair, Convenor of the Governance Committee|
|Paul Randall||Vice-Chair, Convenor of the Audit & Risk Committee|
|Andrew Aldous||Board Member|
|Martin Davidson||Board Member|
|Donald Martin||Board Member|
|Yvonne Milne||Board Member|
|Cathy Ratcliff||Board Member|
|Robert Swinfen||Board Member|
|Carolyn Wright||Board Member|
|Margo Paterson||Chief Executive Officer and Company Secretary|
|Sabine Mackenzie||Director of Operations and Deputy CEO|
|Audrey Greenwood||Director of Property and Health & Safety|