About Hostelling Scotland
More than just a bed for the night!
Hostelling Scotland is a not-for-profit charity with over 60 youth and affiliate hostels. Since 1931, we have welcomed visitors from all over the world, providing affordable, welcoming accommodation in some of the best locations across Scotland. We pride ourselves on exceptional service, offering expert local knowledge and a warm welcome to all those with an adventurous spirit and who wish to experience the real Scotland.
As a non-profit charity with people and communities at our heart, our charitable youth programmes give young people and families, who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity, the chance to experience Scotland and develop their skills for life, learning and work.
We couldn’t do this without your help and we thank you for your kind and continued support.
Our customer promise
Our customer promise "puts people at the heart of Hostelling Scotland" and outlines the services and standards we strive to provide for all of our guests.
- Provide you with a warm welcome and at all times deliver a high standard of customer engagement
- Provide you with a unique experience through our locations, facilities, services and knowledge
- Provide you with clean, comfortable and secure youth hostels at all times
- Go the extra mile and be positive in all of our interactions with you
- Listen to your comments and use your feedback to improve
- Operate ethically as well as in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly manner
- Be respectful and sensitive to meet the needs of all of our customers
If you are not completely happy, please let us know before you leave so that we can put it right.
Our cleanliness commitment
We are committed to delivering the highest levels of cleanliness for all our guests and will always promise a safe and clean hostel
- Our enhanced cleaning will focus on those heavy use touch points (handrails, switches and doors) throughout the hostel whilst ensuring we get to those hard to reach places and include “last cleaned” charts.
- Cleaning products will ensure a Covid secure environment.
- Team members are trained on the effective use of chemicals to deliver a safe space.
- Bedrooms will be clutter free to ensure that every area can be cleaned effectively.
- Your space will be private to you during your stay.
- Hand sanitising stations will be available for use throughout the hostel as well as hand soap within our washrooms. We promote good hand hygiene.
- Contactless payment and interactions will be encouraged at all times. Our credit card terminal, bell systems and pens will be wiped down after every use.
- Social distancing will be encouraged between our guests and respected by our team members. We have installed protective screens at our reception desks to support this.
- A regular cleaning regime exists in our kitchens. We have extended this further and have restricted those entering the kitchen to just essential food servers/kitchen team.
If this isn’t what you find when you check-in, please make the team aware and we promise to make it right!
Acting today for a better tomorrow
Operating locally but thinking globally!
As enthusiastic promoters of sustainable tourism we’re proud to say that 91% of our youth hostels are now rated silver and above in the Green Tourism Business Scheme – the largest and most established sustainable certification in the world. The assessment covers areas such as energy saving, waste minimisation, social responsibility and travel.
Sustainability by definition never ends, so we will continue to work to reduce our impact on the environment, engaging with local communities and guests to promote sustainable practices. Click here to see some of our recent initiatives.
Read more about Hostelling Scotland’s Energy, Environmental & Sustainability Policy. There are some quick and easy ways that our guests make a difference and help us achieve our Green Tourism goals - read our Responsible Visitor Charter to find out more.
Trustees and Directors
Our Board of Trustees and Directors are elected by Hostelling Scotland members or co-opted by the Board. The Board of Trustees and Directors is responsible for governance, rather than management of Hostelling Scotland. Governance focuses on the wider issues of the organisation, its vision, strategic direction, financial and resource sustainability to achieve its charitable objectives, and monitoring the progress of the implementation. The day to day conduct of the strategic and operational executive management is delegated by the Board, to the Chief Executive, and the Senior Management Team.
The Board of Trustees and Directors elections are conducted annually prior to the Annual General meeting and published through all Hostelling Scotland communication channels. Biographies and ballot forms for those nominated for Board election can be downloaded or sought from Head Office.
Those interested in giving their time, skills and experience to take Hostelling Scotland forward through the 21st century are encouraged to get in touch with the Company Secretary for further information and an informal discussion on the commitment involved in being a Trustee and Director of Hostelling Scotland.
Our Current Board of Trustees and Directors
|Martin Ambrose||Vice Chair, Convenor Audit and Risk Committee|
|Claire McCorquodale||Vice-Chair & Convenor of Governance Nomination Committee|
|Michael Anderson||Board Member|
|Duncan Craig||Board Member|
|Paul Randall||Board Member|
|William Thomson||Board Member|
|Michael West||Board Member|
|Jo Smith||Board Member|
|Sophie Bell||Board Member|
|Margo Paterson||Chief Executive Officer|
|Sabine Mackenzie||Director of Operations and Deputy CEO|